Download the shownotes or full transcript of the conversation.
Meet Sara Schmuckler, a speech-language pathologist who specializes in voice and recently made the jump from a full-time clinical position to starting her own private practice. In this episode of The Missing Link for SLPs, Sara reveals what her journey has been like so far and delves into how she made the brave decision to change her career path.
Discussion & Reflection Questions
- Tell us who you are and what you do now. Why are you a speech pathologist? What’s your speech pathology story?
- After you graduated, where did you go and what did you do? Tell us about your early experience as an SLP.
- Tell us about your journey from the time your clinical fellowship ended to what you’re doing now.
- What is it like now that you have your own private practice? What were some of the biggest challenges you had while starting?
- What are some of your favorite voice resources?
- What are some words of advice that you would give the speech pathologist who wants to break off into private practice or become a voice specialist like you?
- What is one client or patient that you will never forget?
- How did you make the brave decision to change your career path?
- If you could sum up what being an SLP means to you in one word, what word would that be?
Quote of the Conversation
“We have the ability, under one title, to reinvent ourselves as clinicians. I mean, and also from a treatment standpoint, when something doesn’t work, what do we do? You know, we have all of this experience, so we adapt and we reinvent our approach until we find something that works. And that can be just within one session. We’re constantly reinventing ourselves as clinicians. As human beings. As people who want to help other people.”-Sara Schmuckler, M.S. CCC-SLP
Sara Schmuckler, M.S. CCC-SLP
Speech-Language Pathologist, Founder/Owner of On Your Voice
Sara Schmuckler is a speech-language pathologist and founder/owner of On Your Voice LLC, a private teletherapy practice currently serving Pennsylvania that specializes in voice disorders as well as speech, language and communication deficits for pediatrics and adults. Sara received her Bachelor’s in Theater from Temple University, pre-graduate certificate in Communication Disorders from West Chester University and Master’s in Speech-Language Pathology from Towson University. Sara is certified in LSVT LOUD and LSVT eLOUD and is a Certified Lingraphica Technology Specialist. Sara recently made the leap into private practice to have more control and flexibility in her schedule and allow her to specialize in the therapeutic areas that she is passionate about.
Sara is grateful to be working from home now and able to spend more time with her husband, Seth, their almost 2 year old daughter, Talula and Labrador, Rosie.
Keep the Conversation Going
Sara Schmuckler, M.S., CCC-SLP, On Your Voice LLC – Founder/Owner/SLP
- p: 267.999.9698 (9OYV)
- f: 866.926.0960
- IG: onyourvoicellc
- FB: On Your Voice, LLC
Thank you for listening to The Missing Link for SLPs podcast! If you enjoyed the show, I’d love you to subscribe, rate it and leave a short review. Also, please share an episode with a friend. Together we can raise awareness and help more SLPs find and connect those missing links to help them feel confident in their patient care every step of the way.
Follow me on Instagram, join the Fresh SLP community on Facebook or learn more at FreshSLP.com. Let’s make those connections. You got this!
Do you have a question you’d like answered on the show?
Interested in sharing your experience as an SLP with our audience?
Send a message to Mattie@FreshSLP.com!
Not a substitute for a formal SLP education or medical advice for patients/caregivers.