Ever heard of a private SLP practice that is totally about augmentative and alternative communication (AAC)? This is Dr. Kristy Davies’ jam! She is all about developing her business to meet the needs of her clients and her business has skyrocketed. Listen to a very passionate SLP talk about her world that is filled with AACs, ASL and big talkers!
Discussion & Reflection Questions
- Tell us about your story and why you became a speech pathologist and what you do.
- Share with us your educational path and how you became Dr. Kristy Davies.
- How has COVID changed your work with AAC?
- What words of advice do you have for someone who wants to specialize in AAC?
- Are there online resources that support people who are interested in AAC work?
- What does your day as a private practice look like? How does it roll out?
- Share with us a story where things did not go so well in your AAC world.
- Tell us a story where something went really well.
Quote Of The Conversation
“Take the nine months. Do your CF. Do not go right into your doctorate.”
– Kristy Davies, CCC-SLP.D
Kristy Davies, CCC-SLP.D
Kristy is a certified and licensed Speech Language Pathologist with over 10 years of experience in schools, early intervention, and assisting clients privately. She obtained a Master’s degree in Speech Language Hearing Science from LaSalle University and her doctorate in Speech Language Pathology from Nova Southeastern University. She is a Masters level Signing Time instructor and has adjunct taught American Sign Language classes at Rowan College of Burlington County.
Kristy has a strong enthusiasm for sharing her knowledge with others and has presented at venues such as the Pennsylvania Speech-Language and Hearing Convention, Pittsburgh AAC Language Seminar Series 2015 & 2017, ATIA 2016 and Closing the Gap 2017. She continues to this day to present at various local and national conferences/conventions and workshops.
Kristy is also Hanen certified and a LAMP professional and continues to seek out various professional development opportunities gaining a large knowledge base in Deafness, Cortical Vision Impairment, autism, and alternative access using AAC.
Keep the Conversation Going
Guest Speaker Information
Kristy Davies, Founder / Speech Language Pathologist / AAC Consultant, Speech Language Associates
Thank you for listening to The Missing Link for SLPs podcast! If you enjoyed the show, I’d love you to subscribe, rate it and leave a short review. Also, please share an episode with a friend. Together we can raise awareness and help more SLPs find and connect those missing links to help them feel confident in their patient care every step of the way.
Not a substitute for a formal SLP education or medical advice for patients/caregivers.